Tuesday, April 15, 2014

LOLA.

Lately my go-to tangle patterns have been curvy and flowy, and I've been playing around with a new rather feminine one that I'm calling Lola. I won't use the D-word, but developing this pattern was kind of an absent-minded process, taking one pattern and morphing it into something else, and then into something else from that, and so on, by changing one small thing with each version of the drawing until I liked the result enough to experiment further.






Here's Lola as a border...








as a flourish...








in skydiving butterfly formation... ;o)








as a border with curlies and auras...








as an 'enthusiastic' hair day...








as a walk in the garden...








...and one more zendala.








one with a watercolor background...








...and last, as a potted plant, 'cause I can. ;o)








Here's the basic how-to:




Drawing tips:

Be mindful of which 'lobe' you want to be the biggest and be consistent when drawing these, since varying that part will produce very different results.


When drawing the three inner teardrop shapes, try to keep the amount of space between the outline and the inner shapes consistent. If you have trouble, try drawing the middle one first and then the ones on either side. And the width of the 'stem' part is about how big the gap between the lines should be.





But wait, there's more!
:oD





I thought the swoopy lines of this pattern suited Helen Williams' style very much, so I gave it to her to play with last week. And she very kindly took time out of her chaotic schedule to knock it right out of the park. :oD I just love these... be sure to click on them to view them full size.






















You can see more of Helen's very memorable art here.
She's got an ebook out, which you can see here.
And a video about said ebook, which you can watch here...try not to be distracted by the unbearably cute pile of snoozing kittens on her desk. 

Seriously... I had to watch it twice. 






•  •  •  •  •  •  •
Thanks for stopping by! 
Feel free to join me here
where I frequently share artsy things that inspire me, 
invite tanglers to share art,
crack silly jokes, 
and offer up the 
occasional 
tangle 
prompt. 
:oD

16 comments:

  1. Lola is sooo beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG....Im in LOVE!.... :))))))))) Now I HAVE to play with this one!.... Thank you so much Sandy...:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lola is lovely! And all your ways to use it are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great one to add to our arsenal of patterns. It's very pretty and flowing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i gotta say the "butterfly skydiving formation" is my favorite :D that and the "enthusiastic hair" one - mayhaps cause i have enthusiastic hair today (it's raining. ugh) i do love what you and helen have done with lola - i've been playing with it a bit in my journal since you sneaked peek it to us on our CZT FB page - i think the thing i've been missing is your basic instruction of keeping the lobes the consistent and determine one large one. thanks! love you! gotta go play some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, Sandy! Love it. All beautiful, but I have a real thing for the butterflies :) h

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, will certainly try this one! BTW love your Mooka background. It's one of my favorite tangles and yours are beautiful.
    Peace, Sue Olsen CZT10

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy, Lola is absolutely beautiful! I just love the flow and thank you for all the gorgeous examples you and Helen so kindly shared!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awsome! I was looking for something fun to add to this weeks challenge for the Diva and this will work perfectly. I love Helen's style as well and think she did an amazing job with your beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy, Lola is just lovely! It's such a happy tangle and I love the names of your examples as much as your illustrations :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOLA is Luscious ! I know I will enjoy playing with this one, so many variations will grow, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lola is a treat of a tangle, oh ah love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE Lola, and what you and Helen Williams have done with this terrific pattern. I love butterflies, and I know I'll be using Lola a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a flowing, light hearted and happy design ! My name is Lola, and I've always liked the fancy & loopy designs. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

• ❃ • ❋ • ❁ • ✿ • ✽ • ❀ •
I have comment moderation turned on to filter out all the spammy flotsam, so submitted comments will not appear until after they squeeze by the spam filter (that would be me). ;o) If you'd like a reply, please email me and I will reply posthaste by pigeon or owl within the month (possibly longer, depending on distance and weather conditions).